What is BOTOX® Cosmetic?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is the only approved treatment to temporarily improve the appearance of both moderate to severe frown lines between the brows and crow’s feet lines in adults.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic contains tiny amounts of a highly purified botulinum toxin protein refined from the bacterium, Clostridium botulinum.
How does BOTOX® Cosmetic work?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic targets one of the underlying causes of frown lines and crow’s feet—the repeated muscle contractions from frowning and squinting over the years. Your specialist will inject these muscles with BOTOX® Cosmetic to temporarily reduce muscle activity. You will begin to notice a visible smoothing of your crow’s feet lines and frown lines between your brows.
Will BOTOX® Cosmetic make me look like I’ve had work done?
- BOTOX® Cosmetic is a technique-sensitive treatment. You should not lose the ability to show expression when you are treated by someone who is licensed, trained, and a medical expert in facial anatomy. It is important to talk to your specialist about the results you want from treatment.
Does BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment hurt?
- Some patients report that being injected with BOTOX® Cosmetic feels like a pinch. Your specialist may use ice to numb the treatment area. If you are concerned about discomfort, your specialist may apply a topical numbing cream before administering your treatment.
What were common side effects seen in clinical studies?
- Three percent of patients experienced eyelid drooping in the frown lines studies and 1% of patients experienced eyelid swelling in the crow's feet studies. Other possible side effects include: dry mouth; discomfort or pain at the injection site; tiredness; headache; neck pain; eye problems: double vision, blurred vision, decreased eyesight and dry eyes; and allergic reactions. These are not all of the possible serious side effects of BOTOX® Cosmetic. Please see the Important Safety Information including Boxed Warning and Medication Guide, and talk to your specialist.
How long does the treatment take?
- Your specialist will discuss your treatment goals and perform a facial analysis to determine the appropriate treatments for you. The actual injection process takes about 10 minutes.
When will I see results?
- You may begin to notice results within 3 - 7 days to 48 hours for moderate to severe frown lines, with results lasting up to 3 months.
How many injections will I receive?
- For the crow’s feet area, your specialist will inject 3-5 areas of the orbicularis oculi, the muscle that frames the side of the eye. This will be repeated on the orbicularis oculi muscle on the other eye.
- For the frown lines area, your specialist will administer 5 injections into muscles in your forehead—1 in the procerus muscle and 4 in the corrugator muscles.
- For the forehead, your specialist will administer 6-8 injections.
How long is the recovery time after treatment?
- After your treatment, you can resume your day. There is minimal downtime and your specialist may give you specific aftercare instructions.
Do men receive BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment?
- Yes. BOTOX® Cosmetic has also been clinically evaluated in male patients. In clinical studies for moderate to severe frown lines, 17.5% of patients treated with BOTOX® Cosmetic were men.